A Student's Guide to Applying for a UAE Golden Visa

A Student's Guide to Applying for a UAE Golden Visa

An in-depth guide detailing where to apply, the application steps, and eligibility requirements.

Are you a recent graduate from a UAE institution looking to secure your visa based on academic achievements? The UAE's Golden Visa is a long-term, renewable residence permit that allows you to remain in the country for either 5 or 10 years, depending on the category of application. Outstanding students and graduates are eligible to apply for this visa, and an Amer agent can guide you through the application process within the UAE.

Am I eligible?

Applicants must apply for the Golden visa within the same emirate where their current visa was issued.

University graduates

Outstanding graduates of universities in the UAE

According to the UAE’s government portal, students of universities in the UAE may be granted a Golden visa for 10 years, if:

  • It has not been more than 2 years since graduation
  • The university must be rated either A or B class by the Ministry of Education
  • A recommendation letter from the university or an accredited graduation certificate or an accredited academic record stating that the student’s cumulative GPA (CGPA) is no less than 3.5 for class A universities and no less than 3.8 for class B universities is submitted.

Outstanding graduates of foreign universities

According to the UAE’s government portal, students in foreign universities may be granted a Golden visa for 10 years, if:

  • The graduation certificate is accredited by the Ministry of Education
  • It has not been more than 2 years since graduation
  • The university is rated among the best 100 universities globally according to the rating system recognized by the Ministry of Education
  • The student’s cumulative GPA is not less than 3.5

High school students

High school students are eligible for a Golden Visa of 5 years, if:

  • The student is a national-level topper (with a minimum grade of 95 per cent in public or private secondary school)
  • A recommendation letter from the Ministry of Education (Emirates Schools Establishment) is submitted.

The Golden Visa is for 5 years but may be extended if the student is enrolled in one of the majors or colleges in the country that requires a study period of more than 5 years.

How do I know if my university is rated A or B?

To know the university's classification, the applicant can access the university website, or contact their admin department.

A Technical Support Specialist at the Amer247 messaging platform said:

However, for applications through Amer, the classification is "specifically contingent upon the governing authority under which the educational institution" is based.

This classification can significantly influence the documents required.

The support specialist added: "Notably, for outstanding university students under KHDA, the school must liaise with KHDA for certificate attestation, followed by MOFA attestation, and the issuance of an equivalency certificate to conform with the mandatory Ministerial grading system, typically graded out of 4 or 5."

How do I apply?

Students can expect a faster process if they first receive ICP nomination approval and then visit an Amer centre. According to the Amer agent, the application process can indeed be "expedited and made more efficient" if the student obtains a UAE ICP nomination approval prior to visiting Amer, or utilises the GDRFA platform.

The agent said that the GPA threshold is set at 3.8 to "facilitate a seamless application process." However, certain universities in the UAE are categorized by ICP as exempt from the 3.8 benchmark.

Graduates from these universities can apply for the Golden visa with a GPA of 3.5 if they secure a nomination from ICP, he added.

To apply for a Golden Visa in Dubai, visit ICP.GOV.AE.

  1. On the homepage, stay logged out. Scroll until you see the left side menu, and click on “Golden Visa” under Services.
  2. Click on “start service” under “high school students/college students”
  3. Then, go to “Visa – Golden Residence – Nomination Request for Golden Residence – New Request” and click on “Start Service”
  4. Fill in the application form, attach the required documents and pay the application fees.
  5. Once you receive ICP approval for the nomination request, take a screenshot of the approval email and head to your nearest Amer service centre, with the required documents. Alternatively, you can apply through the GDRFA website, smart application or Customer Happiness Centres.

According to Amer's technical support specialist, students holding the Golden Visa can "extend the visa to their parents, spouses, and children without any prejudice."

News Source: Khaleej Times

Dark Light