UAE: How to Apply for Entry Permit After Visa Cancellation Due to Extended Absence

UAE: How to Apply for Entry Permit After Visa Cancellation Due to Extended Absence

In a significant policy update affecting expatriates in the UAE, residents who have been outside the Emirates for more than six months will face automatic cancellation of their residency visas.

This regulation, enforced by the Federal Authority For Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Port Security (ICP), aims to streamline visa management and ensure compliance with residency regulations.

The rule change primarily impacts expats who frequently travel outside the UAE for business or personal reasons, sometimes exceeding the six-month threshold. Upon surpassing this period, their residency visas are deemed invalid, necessitating a new entry permit to re-enter the country.

To facilitate re-entry, affected residents can apply for a new entry permit through several channels:

ICP Smart Services

  • Visit the Federal Authority For Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Port Security (ICP) website.
  • Navigate to 'Residents Outside the UAE' on the ICP homepage.
  • Select the 'Residency- All Residence Types- Permits for Staying Outside the UAE Over 6 Months - New Request' tab and click 'Start Service'.
  • Complete the required fields including identity number, nationality, passport details, and reason for extended stay abroad.
  • Proceed by clicking 'Next'.
  • Upload necessary documents such as a copy of your passport and Emirates ID.
  • Review your application details.
  • Pay the applicable fee to submit your application.

You can also visit a nearby typing centre to help you with the process.

GDRFA website

If you are a Dubai resident who has been away from the UAE for more than six months, you cannot apply for a new entry permit independently. Instead, you must request your sponsor to apply on your behalf.

  • Register on the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDFRA) website using your email address.
  • Log in with your username.
  • Navigate to 'Services'.
  • Select 'Issuance of a Residency Visa'.
  • Choose 'Visa Issuance for Foreigners linked with Job Contract'.

The service is also available through the Customer Happiness Centres.

What are the requirements?

  • The application must be submitted from abroad.
  • You can apply after staying outside for 180 days.
  • A valid reason for your absence of more than 180 days must be provided.
  • A fine of Dh100 applies for each 30-day period spent abroad.
  • Dubai residents exceeding 180 days abroad start paying fines after their grace period.
  • Your visa must be valid for over 30 days when applying.
  • Applications for sponsored individuals can be filed by them or their sponsor.
  • Fine refunds are possible only if your application is denied.
  • After approval, you must return within 30 days.

How much does it cost?

The fee for the new entry permit application starts at Dh200 and can increase to Dh420 if processed through customer happiness centers like Amer. The total fee may vary depending on your situation. If you've been outside the UAE for more than 180 days but your residency status remains 'Active' with at least 30 days validity, you won't need to pay fines.

How to check the status of your residency?

To check your residency status, follow these steps:

  • Visit the ICP website.
  • Click on the 'File Validity' tab.
  • Choose either 'File No.' or 'Passport Information' under 'Search By'.
  • Select 'Residency' for 'Select the Type'.
  • Choose 'Emirates ID Number' for 'File Type'.
  • Enter your Emirates ID number, nationality, and date of birth.
  • Click 'Search'.

Alternatively, you can use the "UAEICP" mobile app:

  • Download the "UAEICP" app.
  • Register with a working email if not already done.
  • Sign in using UAE Pass.
  • Select the "Sponsored" option on the app's main page to check the status of your visa.

Upon completion, you should receive the result of your new entry permit request within 48 hours.

News Source: Khaleej Times

Dark Light