While laws and penalties apply similarly to all the emirates under the UAE’s amended federal traffic law, effective since 2017, there may be a slight difference depending on the nature of violation in the respective emirate and the relevant authority in charge.
For example, Abu Dhabi Police; Sharjah Police or Sharjah Municipality; and Dubai Police, Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) or Dubai Municipality may issue different penalties.
Here’s a list of traffic violations to be aware of:
- Not giving way to emergency, ambulance, police and official convoy vehicles: While the law stipulates that the violation earns offenders Dh1,000 fine and six black points, the Ministry of Interior increased the penalty to Dh3,000, six black points, and a one-month confiscation since July 2019. The violation applies to all the emirates.
- Not giving way vehicles on the left lane: Dh400 fine
- Littering while driving (including cigarette butts): Dh1,000 fine and six black points
- Jumping a red light: Dh1,000 fine, 12 black points and a 30-day vehicle confiscation. In Abu Dhabi, motorists have to pay a Dh50,000 to release their vehicles. Failure to pay the fine within three months will result in its auctioning.
- Changing lanes without indicating: Dh400 fine
- Jaywalking: Dh400 fine
- Driving in a way that endangers civilians: Dh2,000 fine, 23 black points and 60-day vehicle confiscation
- Using phones on the road: Dh800 fine and 4 black points
- Sudden swerving: Dh1,000 fine and four black points
- Sudden stop on the road: Dh1,000 fine and six black points
- Reversing in a dangerous way: Dh500 fine and four black points
- Entering the road without ensuring it is clear: Dh400 fine and four black points
- Making a U turn from undesignated areas: Dh500 fine and four black points
- Overtaking from the road shoulder: Dh1,000 fine and six black points
- Driving at night or in fog without lights: Dh500 fine and four black points
- Driving a vehicle without insurance: Dh500 fine, four black points and 7-day confiscation
News Source: Khaleej Times