No matter where you are in the world, driving is an important life skill that will take you places - literally. Even though Dubai has a very efficient range of public transport, majority of people prefer to have their own personal conveyance, especially youngsters who are so eager that they register as soon as they turn 18. And rightly so, driving a car of your own comes with its own perks. Getting a driving license can be a long and rigorous process. So, here’s a guide on how to get your driving license in Dubai.
WHO CAN GET A DRIVING LICENCE IN DUBAI?
As a resident of Dubai, you can apply for a driving license if you are seventeen years and six months of age or above. Your licence will only be issued if you are 18 or above. You should be medically fit that will show in the required medical test and eye tests.
DRIVING INSTITUTES IN DUBAI:
There are five driving centres in Dubai that are certified by RTA:
- Emirates Driving Institute
- Dubai Driving Centre
- Galadari Motor Driving Centre
- Belhasa Driving Centre
- Al Ahli Driving Center
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY FOR A DRIVING LICENCE:
Emiratis only need their valid Emirates ID to apply for a driving course. The driving licence requirements are different for expats are:
- Emirates ID (copy and original)
- Passport with visa page (copy)
- passport size photographs
- Eye test report
- NOC from sponsor
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO APPLY FOR A DRIVING LICENCE IN DUBAI?
- Get your eye test done. You can do this either at the driving centre or at any optician that is approved by the traffic department.
- Register at any RTA approved driving centre, submit all the required documents and open your RTA or traffic file.
- Start your lessons with the driving centre- you will first start with the basics and get theoretical knowledge.
- Complete all the theory classes and give a theory test where you’ll be required to answer 35 questions on road signals, guidelines, driving safety and road hazards.
- Once you pass the theory test, you can move on to the practical training. You’ll have up to 40 classes where you’ll learn the basics of driving on the road and the different types of parking.
- You’ll get a temporary driving licence or learning permit to begin your training which you’ll need to carry every time
- Once you’re done with the practical classes, you can give your internal assessment which will be conducted in the driving centre itself.
- After you successfully complete your internal assessment, your course in charge will advise you to book for the RTA parking and assessment test.
- The Assessment test is a replica of the final test and is conducted after you pass stage 4 of the practical training.
- You’ll need to clear 5 steps in your parking test- slope or hill parking, emergency brakes, angle parking, garage parking and parallel parking. If you fail the parking tests five times in a row, you’ll need to take the practical internal assessments again.
- After clearing the parking test, you can now take the final RTA road test.
- This is a practical test where an examiner from RTA will sit next to you in the car and examine you and your driving skills, so make sure you’re mentally prepared.
- On the test day, you’ll need – Emirates ID, Driving file, 2 passport size photographs and the road test fee (AED 200).
- When your turn comes, drive confidently, and demonstrate your overall driving skills. The criterion of the test is- fewer than 13 minor mistakes is acceptable and to not make any major mistakes and. Anything exceeding this will immediately fail you.
- Once you’re done wait for your result.
You’ll get your Dubai driving licence test results immediately. Once you’ve cleared the RTA toad test, the inspector will give you an approval paper which you’ll need to submit at the Pass counter with your ID, the Dubai driving licence fee and your driving file. Next, you’ll have to pay the licence fee (AED 100) and wait for your photograph to be taken. After that you’ll get your driving licence card in a few minutes.
In case you fail, you need to complete seven additional classes before you can secure a new date for your road test. No need to worry, not everyone is able to pass at one go. Keep calm, practice, and give your best.
WHAT IS THE COST OF OBTAINING A DRIVING LICENCE IN DUBAI?
If you pass the final road test on the first attempt, the cost for the Dubai driving licence varies between AED 4,500 and AED 7,000. If you fail the test, you’ll need to attend seven additional practical training classes before reattempting, for which you’ll need to pay an extra amount. The driving licence cost in Dubai also depends on the driving institute you choose.
TIPS TO GET THE DRIVING LICENSE ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT:
- Practice as much as you can before the test
- Dress your best
- Avoid wearing sunglasses, the inspector will require to view your eye movements.
- Confidence is everything! Be confident while you are giving the test
- Maintain a safe distance between your car and the one in front of you
- Follow the inspector’s instructions, don’t ask unnecessary questions
- Don’t forget trivial things like checking the side and rear-view mirrors
- Avoid applying hard brakes, and changing the road lanes unless asked
- Don’t forget checking your blind spot, it is very important!
- Follow the speed limit